You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Monday, August 24, 2009

Nightmares and horrors (D&D repaints)







A friend of mine (Jeff) gave me these great Cthulhu-esque figures from the D&D miniatures game. I've finally painted up a bunch of them for use in a game (D&D rpg). These were fantastically easy to paint. Most of it was just a lot of dry and overbrushing, a little bit of blending and some minor detail work (eyes and teeth.)
I'm especially happy with how the corruption corpses turned out (the zombie-looking figures.) Up close, the detail isn't the best, but the colors (in my opinion) work great together. I used a couple flesh tones, a couple red tones, a touch of white for bone and some citadel sepia ink.
I'm gonna have to hit Jeff up for some more! :)
Then again, I think I might just be able to make my own chaos beasts (the three giant masses of flesh and tentacle) using Sculpey; this has made it onto my list of potential projects for next week.

Quick note on repainting prepainted minis: I tried Testors primer on a couple of these, but the primer made the soft plastic tacky. I solved my problem by simply painting on a layer of black acrylic paint to act as a primer (I used craft paint). And there was no trouble at all. I don't plan on varnishing these; I think the paint on plastic will be durable enough, especially since there aren't a lot of soft, bendy tentacles or antenna.

2 comments:

  1. That is fantastic : )

    PS: Jamie sent me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work! You should consider applying for a position in the Wizards painting factory :D.

    ReplyDelete