You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What the hell is that?


It's a demon from the Doom boardgame. I finally got around to testing my primer on a couple of the figures including this one. The good news is that the primer sticks well enough; the bad news is that the paint rubs off fairly easily. I'll see what varnish I can use that won't make the figure forever-tacky as is the problem with some soft plastic figures. (The Doom figures aren't soft plastic, but they aren't completely "hard" either.)

This figure took about 15 minutes to paint. It's just three quick drybrushed layers of Storm green (Foundry); a couple drybrushed layers of silver; a couple layers of red to touch up the mouth and add a few details amongst the machinery; a little bit of off-white for the teeth, horns and "eyes"(?); and then a quick dark brown wash within the machinery. Done.

The tackiness won't be too much of a problem; I'm replacing most of the original figures anyway. Instead of the marine figures, I'm using my Bio-suit guys. Instead of many of the monsters, I'm using some of those D&D figures I repainted. Instead of the zombies in the game, I think I'll use some Wargames Factory zombies.

Still, I like these "dog" demon figures, and will try to paint them all up, hoping that the varnish sticks without being too sticky.

Note: If I get a few more of these painted up, I'll try to get some better, well-lighted pics.

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried thin layers of car paint primer - cellulose (?).
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, the paint is staying on now- I think I just started painting before the primer had completely dried.

    I think the Testor's primer I use will be fine if I do it in thinner layers.

    The paint still scrapes off of pointy bits, but that's to be expected, and luckily, there aren't a lot of point bits on these figures.

    ReplyDelete