You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Friday, August 9, 2013

42mm Samurai: Guards


This was a fun little group to put together. The tan and blue combo came out great. The converted-to-carry-a-lance samurai turned out much better than I had hoped. The long haori vest turned out nice (I was worried about how it looked sculpted, but the paint helped it a lot.) And the bases came together nicely with a lot of unifying elements (as if these figures needed anything more to imply they were of the same group.)

I purposely did this group in similar colors so that they can represent either retainers of the same clan, maybe the core group of a weapons school or a low-level official and a couple of his guards.

I've only been doing two things this week: Working and painting. The painting has really been enjoyable and has been a nice diversion from the usual work ugliness. And all that painting has yielded three samurai already (and the other three figures with a good start.)

A question I usually get is what flesh recipe I use. Since I got some new paints, I was able to create a new recipe which I like very much for Japanese/Asian skin.

From base to highlight, I use: Reaper Pro Paint* Chestnut Brown (a beautiful brown in its own right), Reaper HD Suntan Flesh, Vallejo Model Color Light Brown, Vallejo Model Color Medium Flesh and finally (and very sparingly- just enough for a couple pinpoint highlights) Reaper HD Maiden Flesh.

*Pro Paint Chestnut Brown, not Master Series. I believe Reaper ported all their old colors from Pro to the Master Series, but I can't speak to the quality of Chestnut in the Master Series. The jar I have is almost 7 years old, and is gunky with just a few puddles of useful paint left- but just enough to at least get this batch and maybe one more batch of figures fleshed out. And for being that old, the paint has otherwise held together well- it's a touch thick, but it covers well even with a touch of water added. I miss the Pro Paints.

For a caucasian flesh, I'll use something different than Chestnut as a base. I prefer something a little more rosy and less brown, much like Foundry's Flesh 5A.




1 comment:

  1. Excellent work as always - and on a subject matter dear to heart. Dean

    ReplyDelete