You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Saturday, August 10, 2013

42mm Samurai: Red gunner


Here's the last figure from my latest batch of 42mm samurai, a teppo ashigaru for my red faction. He painted up much faster than I expected. The Reaper HD reds are pretty good at coverage, so I'll be sticking to those (along with my Vallejo red which has pretty good coverage, too, though is a touch thick.)

Another thing I noticed was the ease at basing all of these samurai. I love love love Proxie Model bases- the lack of a prominent lip allows for more real estate to play with. I think a good exercise for any painter/hobbyist would be to grab a blank base and add terrain to it, but do the base without a figure. It's a great way to learn new techniques without the potential for ruining a nice miniature.

You could do either a few smaller bases, trying something different on each one -- a rocky base, a grassy base, a flowery base). Or you could grab a larger base and try different combinations of multiple elements. My Japanese roadside shrine actually started off as one of these basing exercises.
And yes, I noticed the gunner on this post has a plain grass base; sometimes, less is more.

I think this will be the last of the armored samurai I buy; I prefer unarmored chambara action. As I mentioned earlier, I'll probably be selling my armored samurai, and as a complete set. It'll be more expensive that way, but the buyer will have enough figures to start playing right away. The price probably won't be cheap; most of these figures have some sort of conversion work (sculpting, reposing, added clothing or armor or sashimono), and all of them have new weapons I hand made on my little anvil.

And in case anyone is interested right away, the starting price will probably be about $400 for around 25 (42mm) figures (my Lord Kaage faction, my red faction and a few extra armored samurai for hire,) easily enough to play the new Ronin rules. I'll also throw in a couple small pieces of terrain. I'm only selling to U.S. buyers, because shipping internationally would just be too expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment