You'll find a little of everything here. Genres covered in this blog include (so far) prehistorics, fantasy, old west, swashbucklers, pulp, Blood Bowl, Ghostbusters, gladiators, nautical, science fiction and samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 28mm, 40mm, 42mm and 54mm sizes. You'll also find terrain, scenery, basing, gaming, modeling, tutorials, repaints, conversions, art and thoughts in general about the hobby.


Thursday, May 8, 2014

More samurai quilting


I finished the latest batch, but I wasn't ready to stop painting samurai, so I stripped the paint off this guy, repositioned the arms and katana and gave him enough paint to join the hatamoto-yakko.

The haori/jacket was added using green stuff. Since the arms are one piece, it's difficult to pin them to the torso, so the jacket serves to strengthen the joints.

I thought about the paint scheme for a few days before settling on the assymetrical quilt pattern for the jacket, and the floral pattern for the kimono and hakama. I also wanted to keep the colors stylish but not too bright; I think this fellow will fit nicely either in the gangs or as an independent ronin.

7 comments:

  1. Another gorgeous figure. The patterns came out great. Would you consider doing a tutorial on doing those floral patterns? They add a bunch of visual interest while remaining wonderfully understated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the patterns are quite easy. I'll post something later (in the week) showing how I do a lot of the different patterns.

      Delete
  2. Stunnig work as usual.
    Weren't writing a THW Samurai rules? Any update?
    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent Ed a PDF of weapon stats (for us with RSBM). I think he forgot to post them; he's been busy with the ATZ (expansion) Kickstarter.
      Send me an email at evilcartoonist at yahoo, and I'll send you a copy of the PDF (complete with errors :)

      Delete
    2. ...Also- taking on a full book (such as Japanese version of By Savvy and Steel) was too much for me. I believe Ed said he'd find someone to take it on.

      Delete
    3. Well that's a pity and I do hope someone else will do it.
      Also I was hoping for a full RSBS samurai ruleset and I think it would be a seller.
      Thanks!
      Javier

      Delete